Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: TECHWR-L Listowner <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:00:02 -0700 (MST)

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...

* ANNOUNCE: Usability Testing Subjects Wanted (NEW)
* JOB: Technical Writerâ??Mechanical (Poulsbo, WA)
* ANNOUNCE: Welcome Adobe® FrameMaker® as a new
* ANNOUNCE: Welcome to the Bunco Squad's Grand Opening!
* ANNOUNCE: Quadralay Ships WebWorks® ePublisher Pro
for FrameMaker

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: Usability Testing Subjects Wanted

Dear TECHWR-Lers:

This coming semester (beginning January 2006) the M.S. in Technical Communication Program at the University of Colorado at Denver will again offer a semester-length course in Usability Testing (at the graduate level). If you have a website or document you wish to have tested by our students, we invite both public and private sector organizations to participate.

We invite such organizations to provide actual documents, websites, electronic media, software, and/or other technology for which they would like user-testing and related comprehensibility evaluations to be performed in our labs.

In past courses we provided valuable usability testing for diverse clients, including (among others) Mortgage 101, AutoCad, TargetSmart, Inc. (specializing in marketing software), for the National Renewable Energy Laboratories (NREL) Website, BioStar (manfacturers of human virus detection equipment), AmazingPlaces.com, and J. D. Edwards Company.

Organizations must also provide monetary support for securing and paying user-test participants and for transcribing audio and/or video data. There is also a nominal participation contribution of US $1000.00 which helps support upgrades in our lab facilities and
scholarships for students enrolled in the program in technical communication.

While it is difficult to provide an exact estimate of your total costs, you should know that historically, it has been *far* lower than the minimum costs for professional usability services in the Denver Colorado area. Past clients have also been impressed with the
professional-level quality of testing done by our students and the opportunity to work with a university community committed to researching the latest methods in usability.

Further details about this program may be found by contacting:

Dr. Filipp Sapienza
Assistant Professor
Technical Communication Program
University of Colorado at Denver
Plaza Building
Suite 102, Room P
Campus Box 176
Denver, Colorado 80217
Phone: 303-556-2778
Email: filipp -dot- sapienza -at- cudenver -dot- edu

12/09/05 - 12/15/05

JOB: Technical Writerâ??Mechanical (Poulsbo, WA)

Seatech Publications, Inc., a production-oriented, technical documentation company serving the manufacturing industry is searching for a qualified technical writer to fill a position in Seattleâ??s west sound area. Qualified candidates will have the following:

* Minimum of two years experience developing technical manuals for equipment containing electronically controlled hydraulic systems (machine design experience can be substituted for writing experience)

* Ability to read electrical and hydraulic schematics

* Ability to interpret engineering prints

* Proficiency with technical illustration software and structured FrameMaker

* Experience delivering military training courses (a plus).

Candidates must be willing to travel, domestically and internationally. Priority will be given to mechanical or electrical engineers with exceptional writing skills. Technical writers with strong mechanical aptitude and applicable experience will also be considered.

Interested candidates should submit a resume and a 10-to-20-page writing sample (PDF file) to info -at- seatechpubs -dot- com by January 9, 2006.

12/07/05 - 12/13/05

ANNOUNCE: Welcome Adobe® FrameMaker® as a new TECHWR-L Sponsor!

Join us in welcoming Adobe® FrameMaker® as a new TECHWR-L Silver-level Annual Sponsor: http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/main.html

Adobe® FrameMaker® 7.2 software delivers a powerful, enterprise-class authoring and publishing solution that combines the simplicity of word processing with the power of XML. Enjoy WYSIWYG authoring in either a familiar word processing, style-tagging mode or a fully structured environment optimized for the editing and production of valid XML. Take advantage of long-document support that includes book management features, sophisticated templates, rich formatting options, and new multiple undo capabilities. Experience built-in support for high-quality printing, the latest Adobe PDF standards, and integration of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG). Publish short documents, multivolume books, and more in print, Adobe PDF, HTML, SGML, XML, and other formats.

Welcome--and thanks to--Adobe® FrameMaker® as a new TECHWR-L Annual Sponsor! Annual sponsors provide key support for the variety of TECHWR-L services and features. For more information about sponsorships, please visit http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/abouttechwhirl/sponsorships.html

12/01/05 - 12/07/05

ANNOUNCE: Welcome to the Bunco Squad's Grand Opening!

We all remember the Bunco Squad, especially from movies about the Prohibition.... Basically, they were a police squad that sniffed out swindlers, cheaters and other truculent folks of the like.

Well, now it's back! This time the Bunco Squad is hunting down similar folks in the workforce and providing tips and advice for independent contractors from others in the same field as you and inside information from recruiters that you absolutely need to know to make it on your own.

Originally called LAC Media, we're back and look better. Check us out now at:

http://www.buncosquad.net

11/28/05 - 12/11/05

ANNOUNCE: Quadralay Ships WebWorks(R) ePublisher Pro for FrameMaker

New product allows users to create customized online-viewable content
directly from Adobe FrameMaker documents

AUSTIN, TEXAS - October 4, 2005 - Quadralay Corporation, the leading
provider of complete electronic publishing solutions, today announced
the immediate availability of its next-generation software solution
for creating online content, WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Adobe(R)
FrameMaker(R).

WebWorks ePublisher Pro is a completely re-engineered, XML-based
version of Quadralay's powerful single-source online publishing
solution and is fully compatible with FrameMaker 7.2, the latest
version of Adobe's enterprise-class authoring and publishing
software.

By unleashing the power of XML, WebWorks ePublisher Pro for
FrameMaker gives users the ability to quickly and easily create
customized content for the Web, intranets, professional online Help
systems, portable devices, enterprise-ready XML, or PDFs. The
software provides greater flexibility and ease of use for Help
authors, technical writers, documentation professionals, and other
content providers wanting to produce content for common online
formats directly from Adobe FrameMaker files.

"Our new product, WebWorks ePublisher Pro for FrameMaker, is
completely compatible with Adobe's recently announced FrameMaker
7.2," says Michael E. Fabry, CEO of Quadralay Corporation. "We are
proud of our commitment to meet the demands of this important user
base with this robust software offering."

The many innovations of WebWorks ePublisher Pro for FrameMaker
include a new user-friendly interface and XML-based processing for
improved performance. The new application also includes an online
content-preview window for visual style development, GUI-based
advanced customizations, and more. In all, the solution streamlines
work and dramatically increases productivity, which saves time and
money.

"WebWorks ePublisher Pro is the premiere solution for FrameMaker
users who publish online content. Quadralay has made terrific
advances in the underlying technology that allow for maximum
flexibility and control. These advances will truly deliver a higher
return on investment for our customers," says Karl Matthews,
FrameMaker Group Product Manager at Adobe.

Pricing and Availability

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for FrameMaker is available for purchase
online at the WebWorks Store at www.webworks.com/store. The software
is priced at US$1,395 for authors, and internationally for US$1,515.

The software can also be bought by contacting Quadralay by phone at
(512) 719-3399, extension 501, or via e-mail at sales -at- webworks -dot- com -dot-
In addition, select resellers sell WebWorks ePublisher Pro.
A listing of resellers is available at www.webworks.com/partners/pindex.aspx.

For a limited time, customers can save $250 when upgrading from any
competitive Help authoring tool.

Contact: VP of Marketing
512-719-3399 ext. 244
marketing -at- webworks -dot- com

Read the full press release here:
http://www.webworks.com/company/pressroom.aspx

11/02/04 - 12/30/05

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Lisa
(lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/postad.html.