HELP!-Big Spaces at the bottom of Word Documents!?

Subject: HELP!-Big Spaces at the bottom of Word Documents!?
From: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:35:16 -0500

I'm writing a manual, and at times, for some inexplicable reason, Word
puts huge spaces on the lower half of my pages that I can't repair
easily. I'm sure that Word has "jumped settings," as it tends to do in,
for example, overtype mode. Yet I've checked the "options" and turned on
show/hide paragraphs to see the formatting marks, and I can't find out
why Word is doing this.

I've had this happen when I have a graphic that is too large for the
remainder of the page, but there is no graphic here, only text. When
this happens, I have to backspace every single line of text, which
immediately turns to the wrong font and style, then reformat them one at
a time. And that is no guarantee that it won't happen again once I'm
through.

Any ideas? It is too late in the project to ditch Word, so I'm stuck.
I'm asking my family and friend for FrameMaker for the holidays.
Kirk