Help Authoring Tools

Subject: Help Authoring Tools
From: Lyn Ryan <lyn -dot- ryan -at- towersperrin -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:48:11 +1000

Hello,

I am newly subscribed to this list after an absence of several years. I
remember it being a very useful source of information, so I hope you can
help me with this. I am looking for advice on which help authoring tool to
purchase/use for development of context sensitive online help to support a
piece of software developed inhouse. The final help output needs to be a
.chm file.

The online help application I need to update and maintain was originally
written in HDK. However HDK has subsequently been broken up into several
products and the flagship product is now XDK.

Does anyone have any opinions about how XDK compares to other products such
as Doc-To-Help or RoboHelp? I hear a rumour that Robohelp is likely to be
withdrawn from the market place...so I don't really want to recommend
purchasing it. My concerns with XDK is that indexing and hyperlinking is
basically a manual process. When the online help is likely to exceed 1500
topics, this is a huge task. I realise that indexing and linking will
always have a manual element, but I understand, for example, Doc-To-Help
has tools that can automate indexing.

If anyone has a strong preference for a help authoring tool, I'd be
interested to hear why.

Regards,
Lyn Ryan
Tillinghast Software Solutions
Level 13, 135 King Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Phone: +61 2 8198 9135
FAX: +61 2 8198 9009

Email: lyn -dot- ryan -at- towersperrin -dot- com

Tillinghast is a business of Towers Perrin
www.towersperrin.com/tillinghast

NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential, proprietary or
legally privileged information. It is intended only for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not
use, read, retransmit, disseminate or take any action in reliance upon it.
Please notify the sender that you have received it in error and immediately
delete the entire communication, including any attachments. Tillinghast
Software Solutions (formerly known as Classic Solutions) cannot ensure the
confidentiality or integrity of external e-mail communications and,
therefore, cannot be responsible for any unauthorized access, disclosure,
use or tampering that may occur during transmission. This communication is
not intended to create or modify any obligation, contract or warranty of
Tillinghast Software Solutions (formerly known as Classic Solutions),
unless the firm clearly expresses such an intent.