RE: To Human Factors or not to Human Factors

Subject: RE: To Human Factors or not to Human Factors
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'Bill Swallow'" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:59:17 -0600

'Human Factors' was, I thought, an engineering discipline that studies the
motivations and acts of people as they use objects that are engineered. The
results of these studies are used in engineering new product designs.
'Usability' I think is the term for Human Factors as it is applied to
computers.

Makes sense to me that you take the Human Factors course in your tech comm
program. That they call it 'Human Factors' and not 'Usability' implies to me
that the topics that they will be introducing will be more on the
engineering new products side of the equation. This is very germane to
technical communication.

Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc