Re: Documenting A Ballet Dance?

Subject: Re: Documenting A Ballet Dance?
From: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:31:53 -0800

Yes, there are in deed ways to document dance. And in the past I have
done so. At one time as an adult I took ballet, and, when we
choreographed our own dances, we wrote them down noting steps and
direction. While this can become quite complex when there are more
dancers on stage, it is possible. When I did so, I would document other
than the main dancer with "See A for second dancer, etc." Of course, it
is better when it is accompanied by a video. And, I have seen software
demonstrated where a figure can perform specific steps in succession,
giving an added dimension to the written word.

One of the real problems that exists in documenting dance is that there
are several ways to abbreviate step notations, and, therefore there is
not one system that is universally known and used. Each company and each
choreographer can have and use a distinct method/language.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com & @earthlink.net - 626-794-9620
Rendering/logo Samples: http://www.foremangraphics.com

<snip>