Re: Hiring Question

Subject: Re: Hiring Question
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:21:29 -0800

I have yet to see or take a test that measures a candidate's ability
to drag information or review comments out of a recalcitrant SME or any of the other nonwriting skills required to get documentation
done to plan and schedule. Most of the tests I've seen and taken
consisted of 30 minutes or so of correcting deliberately introduced
spelling or grammar errors into a few pages of document, and while I suppose that in this day and age of illiterate people holding college degrees they have some limited use, unless a tested candidate proved to be incapable of stringing words together into a readable paragraph, I don't think I would give the results much more weight than the answers to one or two typical interview questions. Since we have established
formats and style guides, I am less concerned about a writer's ability
to design documents or analyze alpha product builds than some might be.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>