Re: Hiring Question

Subject: Re: Hiring Question
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Pamela Sarantos <Pamela -dot- Sarantos -at- bigbandnet -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:04:53 -0500

I still find is interesting that most associate "test" with "written".
I test every candidate I interview, but the only writing they do is
when they're taking notes for themselves.

> The goal of this type of test would be to determine if the candidate has
> the ability to design a decent format, rather than always copying
> current styles, and to determine if they have the ability to realize
> that the flow is not correct.

I'm not sure this would be of value in groups where style needs to be
followed to the letter.

> Before you design a test you should be sure of what you want to expect
> from the results, since the candidate may not be familiar with the
> customer base or the product. I say "may not be" because, some
> candidates may work for the competition, so will be familiar with your
> customers and product.

Agreed. The best part about mental testing (if you're good at it) is
that you can evolve the nature of the test as you go. The really good
candidates catch on and evolve it for you. ;-)

> Overall, it may not be a bad idea to test; after all, we are writers and
> our expertise is communicating via writing not verbal, so in some cases
> the candidate may welcome this option as part of the interview.

Again, it depends on your company culture. Where I work, verbal
communication is just as important as written, and the ability to
analyze is valued more than the ability to write 'good'. ;-)

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736