RE: Document Control Systems

Subject: RE: Document Control Systems
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:25:28 -0500

Been there last year, done that. Before we looked at any document control systems, we wrote a detailed spec of our minimum requirements. Then, we got Those-Who-Know, Those-Who-Care, and Those-Who-Sign-Checks to look over the spec and give their comments.

Some of your spec details are in your e-mail: All employees have read-only access, all technical and user documents are included, documents are catalogued and easily searchable, system has good version control tracking, system has good write-access controls, system is hosted in-house, etc.

Some other spec details: How are documents catalogued? Do you tag documents with keywords? Can users post comments/ideas about other users' documents? Can everyone view those comments? Can tags be added or changed after initial posting? Etc... Our spec was about three pages long, and it was pretty concise.

Once you have an agreed spec, it will be easier to review the candidate applications (such as MS SharePoint, Xerox DocuShare, IBM/Lotus Domino.doc, Livelink, Documentum, etc.).

When I met vendors during this process, I insisted that they compare their out-of-the-box capabilities with our spec. Most of them (surprise!) required vendor customization that dramatically skewed the initial price comparison. The one major vendor whose product required no customization was actually disappointed! -- but we weren't.

If Those-Who-Sign-Checks insist on multiple choices over a broad price range, encourage the vendors to come up with options that will let you write a mid- and high-level spec to go with the basic one.

Caveat emptor, and keep your eyes on the spec.

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.