Re: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: New Poll Question
From: "Cassandra Greer" <cassandra -at- greer -dot- de>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:56:06 +0100 (MET)

I feel sooo young!

But I _do_ remember 29 cent gas and watching the first moon landing and the
original runs of Star Trek (the ones about tribbles and that flying fried
egg that attacked Spock and sucked out all his life force or salt or
something... are the ones that stick in my mind from that time).

My first programming class in high school (Iowa) (and the first one ever
offered there) was on a Commodor 64. I remember homework one time was to
write a program to figure Pi to I dunno 5 or 8 places or something. In class
the next day, we typed in our programs and it took those things 28 minutes
to run it.
I remember going into the Tandy store on Saturdays and programming _really_
simple things in BASIC into the store demo computers that were enough to
irritate the store people to no end :)

Anyway this class was enough to tell me that I didn't have the patience to
be a programmer but I did like computers in general and they have been
sticking with me ever since. The first Mac I worked on was in 1986 and now I
have an assortment of different things in my office.

And the Internet too. I first chatted with someone in Canada using some
computer (don't remember what it was) and an illegal phone line in Germany
in 1987 (back then in Germany, Telekom owned all the lines and hardware
including your phones - you just rented it all. This guy had managed to come
by a phone that was not registered to him and splice it into the lines so he
could phone from his room without Telekom coming in and installing it and
charging him for it). And I also remember having a (single-sided) floppy
disk with all the Web sites in the world on it - 1991 or 92? Ah and then
there was the e-mail address directory that you could buy at the book store
at BYU. I remember being disappointed that mine wasn't in there.

Ah the memories - this is fun!

Cass :)

--
Cassandra Greer