RE: New Poll Question / Introduction

Subject: RE: New Poll Question / Introduction
From: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
To: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:53:27 -0700

Interestingly, when I was a sophomore in HS (in Mormon-dominated Mesa,
AZ), I was *required* to take typing as a GRADUATION requirement - BUT!
only the GIRLS had this requirement...needless to say I was not happy,
but took the class as I had no choice.

After I went into the AF as a telecom engineer, I steadfastly denied
being able to type - for the simple reason that I figured as a female
second lieutenant, I'd be reduced to a pseudo-secretary if I admitted I
could type (not to infer any inferiority of secretaries, but in 1979, I
was 1 of only 2 female officers assigned to my engineering unit of over
1000...I didn't WANT to be a secretary, I wanted to be accepted as an
equal with the male 2nd-looies). Anywho - I actually had people argue
with me that as a female I MUST know how to type! And, every time I had
one of the men ask me to type something, I'd respond with "I don't know
how to type - maybe Lt. Smith (male, of course) could do that for you".
Got me lots of very strange looks, I must say.

I'd gotten married in the meantime, and swore my husband to secrecy (as
I could touch-type, of course).

After PCs became more than just expensive techie-toys, I was very glad
I'd been forced to take the typing class and learn to touch-type.

Clare Turner, Technical Writer
Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc.
15020 N. 74th St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260