RE: Fluid design ... always?

Subject: RE: Fluid design ... always?
From: Kate <kate -at- pulpculture -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:24:08 -0500

At 10:04 PM 12/19/2005, Bonnie Granat wrote:

I've never seen a blog that ran across the screen. I've seen blogs with
columns (divs> that resize when a window is made smaller -- a left, middle,
and right --, but never one that was pure text across the page. Can you give
a URL for an example?

They do that, too. The line run across the entire *huge* center content div. When I stumble across one, I'll send it to you offlist.But, you may only notice it if you have a 21" monitor -- since it's a fluid design.

Pages should fluidly resize so that all the content appears in a window
that's made smaller. That's what I think they mean on the newsgroup. I am a
fan to the degree that they helped me; I've only seen a few sites belonging
to the regulars that I liked.

Right, but in this case, the guy doesn't want that. As long as the text is fluid (we use ems) and the design break when enlarging the font, he's happy because he wants a fixed-width at 780px wide, with gutters in contrasting/complementary color. That way, if someone with a larger monitor looks at it, they'll just see plenty of negative space -- something he likes. Those with smaller screen resolutions will have less gutter.

Thanks Bonnie!

It's visually delicious and pensively random. Or
maybe, it's deliciously visual and randomly pensive.
-­Dave Harper, Space Coast Web

Bitch | Lab
http://blog.pulpculture.org