Re: Fluid design ... always?

Subject: Re: Fluid design ... always?
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:47:18 +0800

Geoff Purchase <lists -at- userdox -dot- com> wrote:

> Well, there are the users who hate a fixed width design (like me).

Count me in there. I passionately detest fixed-size panels of web
data. I want to control the screen usage myself.

If yours is the only site I am looking at, I may give a big window.
You should fill it. On another occasion, I might be busy with other
stuff so I give you only a small window. Or I might be trying to
compare your product to the competition using many small
windows. Your site should still work.

That's just me. What about the user with bad eyesight who
needs huge fonts? Or the person who needs to quickly check
something on your site from a web-enabled cell phone?

For an example of web design I consider thoroughly irritating try:
http://www.nadelectronics.com/

Nice products, but the web site is almost bad enough to drive me
away. Oh, well, it is still much better than some corporate sites
I have seen. At least it does work with a non-IE browser and does
not overuse Flash.

--
Sandy Harris
Zhuhai, Guangdong, China