Re: Best Practice for reviewing documents?

Subject: Re: Best Practice for reviewing documents?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:46:33 -0500

Amen! I was both the writer and the SME for a book, and after I
had signed off the camera-ready copy someone in editorial took
it back and redid the whole thing, changing hundreds of instances
of "boolean" (the name of a data type) to "Boolean" on the grounds
that George Boole was a person, and thus the name required
capitalization. Unfortunately the language I was documenting
was case-sensitive, so hundreds of examples and definitions were
made incorrect. I did not catch the error until I saw the printed
book.

The client should get final sign-off. Genuine final, not fake final!

Geoff Hart wrote:

<<Boss says that after the client reviews document and makes their recommendations document should not be changed.>>

There's a sound reason for this: it's surprisingly easy to introduce significant errors into a document by making seemingly innocent changes that change the meaning. If the client has done a good job of the ...