Re: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: New Poll Question
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:25:19 -0800

Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:
>
>>> I still have a hand waxer and some bees wax packed in a box
>>> somewhere along with some letter-size layout sheets, amberlith
>>> and blue line pencils if you ever need them.
>
>> That's quite alright... I think I'd only give them to the
>> kids so they could get some practice in with electric devices
>> that heat up quickly.
>
> Maybe I should break out the X-acto knives, too. ;-)
>
> You're never too young to visit the ER... LOL!

Yup, been there, done that, drove myself to the ER after
an X-acto knife landed, in a perfect swan dive, point down
right in the middle of my foot...

To put myself in the age continuum, when I first started
in the field I had trouble finding pure editing jobs so
I made a living as a graphic designer/typesetter. My first
typesetting job was on an IBM Composer, complete with magnetic
cards and font balls - the first thing I set on it was a book
on Indian religions where I needed to switch constantly
between the regular font ball, the Italic ball for "foreign"
words, and the Greek/Math ball for accents in the middle
of the foreign words, for which I had to backspace, put in
a stop code, change the ball, type one character, space
forward to after the italic word, put in a stop code, and
continue. As you can imagine, occasionally the draft printout
contained a page or so of Greek/Math when I neglected one of
the stop codes...

I also have typeset on a Compugraphic "Jr," which had no
display at all and produced a photographic strip that was
used for headlines at a newspaper. Plus the Compugraphic 9600,
whose program was on a paper tape (also used for debugging,
for which I had my own chip changer set) and which had a
25-character LED display -- once you hit the spacebar, you
couldn't go back and correct anything. My most challenging
feat on that one was setting an annual report complete with
numeric tables. If the phone rang, I had to keep a finger
or other marker placed where I was in the original given that
there was no way to tell which tab you were on from the display.

*cackles and thumps cane*

-- Janice