Re: Software purchase advice needed

Subject: Re: Software purchase advice needed
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:19:43 -0500

Nuckols, Kenneth M wrote:

Recently I did a short-term
project to assess the feasibility of moving some of our paper-based
documents to the web, and decided I would be smart and play with this
"package for GoLive" feature. Well, I can say it was more fun than
stuffing fiberglass insulation in your underwear, but only marginally.

LOL

On the other hand, I've found that writing XML code and creating Style
Sheets in GoLive is fairly straightforward (I haven't done a lot of that
yet--waiting to get my hands on a copy of GoLive CS2
Classroom-in-a-Book).

Well, that's something. Although Dreamweaver is also straightforward.

I really don't know what all is in the "regular" CS2 package, but the
Professional version does include the Adobe Bridge, which is supposed to
make it easier to pass elements of documents and files back and forth
between applications, and has this nifty marketing ploy that directs you
to a bunch of stock graphics you can purchase and download from Adobe.

Both sound like conveniences but not something that would save me significant amounts of time in a year.

I will say something about having Acrobat Professional--this is the
first job where I've had access to the actual Acrobat program to create
and modify PDF files in their "native" environment. Whenever I have to
package a document for upload to a web space as a PDF, I find the
ability to go directly into Acrobat and manipulate and tune the PDF file
extremely useful. It allows a lot of customization and tweaking that
even other Adobe programs don't allow so you can make your uploaded PDF
a lot more "user-friendly" to the poor schmuck that has to download and
use it at the other end. If you don't already have a full-blown copy of
Acrobat at your disposal, it might be worthwhile getting Acrobat,
whether you decide to go the CS2 Standard or CS2 Professional route.

I do have Acrobat 6 and have been a "full-blown" Acrobat user for years. I understand the advantages of upgrading to Acrobat 7 Professional, but it's not a must-do for my needs right now. It's more of a take-it-or-leave-it item.

I'm certain that Dreamweaver and many of the other popular tools that
people have used for the last few years probably have similar capability
for coding and style sheets. If you already know how to use it there may
not be the learning curve associated with picking up a completely new
tool.

Well, yes, that's why I'd rather get Dreamweaver. But if Dreamweaver is going to be orphaned by Adobe, I'm thinking maybe I should get GoLive instead. I'm just looking for insight from those who have had their ears to the ground on this issue.

Good luck. Hope this response is somewhat helpful.

Thanks,

Dick