RE: Scoping a DocumentationProject??

Subject: RE: Scoping a DocumentationProject??
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com, Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:59:32 -0800 (PST)

Sharon:

I find that often knowing scope is critial - it is a
major input to the estimating process of Tech Writing
deliverables. And for complex systems nailing down
scope is no small matter.

Regarding your grillings of me, see my last post to
Bill Swallow different ways of doing the same thing.
Just because I know of ones way does not mean that I
can not ask about the others about their approach.
Especially as I work as a TW. The only reason I
mentioned Context diagram in my posting to Bill was to
save time in clarifying what I meant by scoping. I
think you ar being too sensitive.

I ask to learn. Confirming that nothing exists is
learning.

Tony Markos

--- Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com> wrote:

> And there is a good reason for, in your opinion, no
> TW book covering
> "determining the scope of the system". Because for
> most products, we don't
> care what the scope of the system is; we care what
> the user will do with it
> and what they need to know to do that stuff. We are
> user focused because the
> first rule of tech writing is "Consider your
> audience".
>
> Tony, we understand that you are very proud that you
> have a tool called
> Analysis. And we're all delighted that this tool
> works for you in the cases
> you need it. But asking us questions that sound like
> you want to learn
> something when, in fact, the questions are a beard
> to yet again tell us
> about your nifty tool is a bad idea. You are
> obviously uninterested in
> learning anything, which, in my opinion, is a shame
> because you have access
> to about 10,000 people years of experience in just
> about all industries on
> this list. Personally, I learn from this list all
> the time - I've been in
> this field for about 15 years and teach this stuff,
> for goodness sakes.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com