Re: FrameMaker conditional text question

Subject: Re: FrameMaker conditional text question
From: "A" <aurora -at- identicloak -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:34:03 -0500 (EST)

David Castro said:
> Here's a Friday brain twister for you. I have inherited a guide that
> has vast amounts of duplicated content in it. It is an installation
> guide for a product can be installed on either Windows 2000 or 2003.
> There are subtle differences between the way the product is installed
> on the two operating systems (path names are different, there are
> extra steps for one O/S, and so on).
>
> Currently, the information is simply copied and pasted within the
> guide. I was thinking that it would be better to extract the content
> into an external FM file, apply condtional text settings to the
> information that is different, and then import that external FM file
> into the main file.

It sounds like you're trying to make this too complicated.

If the stuff is in different files and you can't combine procedures,
create two books -- one with Windows 2000 content, the other with
Windows 2003 content. Any common text you can place in a common
directory and use text insets to import into whatever book you need
it. That way the individual books hold only content specific to them
and you don't even have to mess with the conditional text.

A.u.r.o.r.a

Yes this is a humor site! Bathroom humor for everyone!
Better than animal porn! Unapproved by official people!
---- www.adventuresindefecationc.om ----