RE: Inept numbering in OOo?

Subject: RE: Inept numbering in OOo?
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:13:42 -0500

[Bruce Byfield wrote] Please feel free to post this for me:

Sarah sounds as though she is bashing her head against the wrong wall.
To set up headings the way she wants, she needs Tools > Outline
Numbering. Two or three choices, and it's all set up.

And why isn't this function part of styles? Frankly, I don't have the
smallest idea.

While I'm on the subject, I should also mention that there's no need to
spend "days" on a problem like this. The OpenOffice.org User list is
extremely responsive, and in most cases, problems are answered in a
matter of minutes. You can also search through the online archives at:

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=users

In this case, I know that this problem has been raised many times. The
solution is quirky and different enough from MS Office that lots of
people have faced it.

Finally, Sarah comments:

"I think this is an example where a corporate/capitalist enterprise
works more efficiently than a loose collection of dedicated volunteers:
there is no incentive in the latter to knuckle down and actually fix
the things that are wrong. If the fix involved is long, difficult and
boring, why do it?"

The answer is simple: Open Source developers fix things because they
want to use the program itself.

But the comment is rather ironic, considering that the majority of
people coding for OpenOffice.org are employees of Sun Microsystems; Sun,
of course, supports OpenOffice.org so it can put out StarOffice, the
proprietary version. So, really, this problem is a matter of how a
corporation responds to a problem, not volunteers.

- Bruce Byfield

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.