Re: Incorporating third-party books

Subject: Re: Incorporating third-party books
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- handheld -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:22:09 -0800

"OEM" (original equipment manufacturer).

The single most important thing is, make sure you get source files
from the OEM vendor. Our company made a deal with another firm (before they hired me, I might add), and did not make this a
part of the contracts. The vendor provided PDFs of their manuals
but refused to provide source files, making it necessary to decompile
the PDFs and rewrite the docs all over again when all we should have had to do was open their source files, do a search and replace
for company names and logos and fix all their spelling and grammar
errors.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- handheld -dot- com>

Does anyone on this list have experience with re-branding, re-distributing, re-writing (?) another company's manual as your own?
This is a situation where your company purchases the rights to sell another company's software product under your company's name.
The software product already has documentation from the original company that is updated with each build just like your own documentation.