RE: Lose vs Loose (was Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use?)

Subject: RE: Lose vs Loose (was Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use?)
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:17:44 -0800

I blame the sleeper effect. Not the one recently discounted
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_effect>), but a similarly insidious
persistence of bad grammar from non-credible sources. We've seen it's
instead of its, they're instead of their, you're instead of your, etc. so
often, in so many supposedly credible places, that without even thinking
about it we write the incorrect word.

I never, ever was uncertain of when to use the possessive its versus the
contraction it's, but I find myself typing the wrong one at the wrong time
on too many occasions. Usually when tired, overworked, or sending an e-mail
to a list to be read by thousands of people so that I can be utterly
humiliated in public.
--Beth