Re: Formality is going bye-bye?

Subject: Re: Formality is going bye-bye?
From: Collin T <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:52:47 -0700

All very god points.

And you're welcome (regarding my tagline)!

I was taught that the average American reader is hanging around the
7th grade level. So that's the platform from which I build my
documents. "Always write to the lowest common denominator."

I agree with David...America is dumbing down. But I also see (and
agree with!) the need to "de-formalize" some of what we do in order to
increase readership and appeal.

Is it wrong? No, I think it's a requirement. If we wish to remain
effective, we must be willing to move with the industry or strive to
be innovators.

I don't know about all of you, but it's my experience that some of the
most impressive documentation I've seen has *not* been done by Tech
Writers. (Not all, I don't mean to sound an alarm, but I've seen some
great "out of the box" work done by these people.)

I guess I'm with the "less formal" crowd. I write fairly in a fairly
informal style which fits my audience. I'm not trying to "dumb them
down", but appeal to my readership.

-Collin Turner

--
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long
plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die

- Hunter S. Thompson