RE: Formality is going bye-bye?

Subject: RE: Formality is going bye-bye?
From: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
To: 'jim guarino' <jag9330 -at- earthlink -dot- net>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>, Collin T <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:02:10 -0500

I can see the validity behind Jim's hypothesis and I would add a caveat to
it. Although the percentage of literate has grown in America, it has grown
for three reasons. First, there are more Americans than there were years ago
who live in urban areas, which have more schools, and therefore more
opportunity to complete basic educational needs such as reading and writing.

Second, there are far fewer Americans who drop out of school in the 5th
through 8th grade as previously was the case because they had to work to
help out on the farm/ranch/grove or to help provide family income.

Finally, the difficulty of the "standard" reading levels has been diluted
based on the ideas of social promotion and no child is should have to lose.
For example, when I graduated high school in the early 1960s, Moby Dick was
required reading at the 9th or 10th grade level. Today, it is a hard read
for many college juniors due to the level of the language and the number of
polysyllabic words.

Yes, I believe that Americans are more literate than a generation or two
ago, but I do not believe that Americans are better educated, more
knowledgeable, or more erudite than before. In fact, I think that quite the
opposite has taken place. But that is just my own perception.

David B. Dubin, PHR
Senior Curriculum Developer
Sage Software
727-579-1111 x 3356