Re: Teaching the craft offshore--?

Subject: Re: Teaching the craft offshore--?
From: Jayshree Rice <jayshreerice -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, Amanda Abelove <bluestreaker1977 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 11:40:05 -0800 (PST)

I am one of the Indian writers on this list. I've
spent the early part of my career in India and I now
live and work in the U.S.

I have a question and an observation based on personal
experience.

First the question, I'm not sure I understood the
context of the remark in paranthesis (As you know,
there's a considerable amount of racism out there....
warn them about.) Could you elaborate?

Now the observation. I worked in India for an Indian
company and for the last few years I work for an
American Company in the U.S. I find that my American
colleagues expect me to understand American culture
and fit in accordingly, which is perfectly natural.
Yes, they do seek to find out about other countries
and cultures but that does not translate into changing
their actions to fit Indian etiquette and customs when
they are dealing with me. They also do not expect me
to remind them of cultural differences when they do
not as me to do so. For instance, a colleague who was
leaving the company parted with a bear hug. It wasn't
an appropriate moment to give him a cultural
sensitivity tip. The tip being men in India avoid
close physical contact with women unless they are
family. It may be wise to go with the flow of the
country or culture one finds oneself in unless
explicitly asked to do otherwise.

The other side of this equation was my early
experience working in India. We had colleagues,
partners, clients and others visiting or working with
us in India. Group efforts were set in motion to raise
cultural sensitivity. We were expected to adapt our
conduct as far as possible to fit in with his or her
cultural etiquette. The visitors for the most part
also seemed to expect us to adapt somewhat.

The existence of this equation dawned on me after I
started working for an American Company and it struck
me as a little lopsided.

Amanda, enjoy your trip the biggest threat as someone
mentioned earlier would be cab drivers (taxi and
rickshaw drivers) ripping you off and over indulgence
in Kerala's excellent sea food. Customs officials
aren't going to fuss about your papers or try to
detain you overnight. All of the basic institutions
and services are very sound and stable. Like you said,
there are places in every country and city that are
unsafe. Common sense and a little advance inquiry will
fix that.

Where in Kerala is this opportunity?

Jayshree Rice

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jayshreerice%40yahoo.com