RE: How bad an idea is this?

Subject: RE: How bad an idea is this?
From: "Rupanjana Mukerji" <Rupanjana -dot- Mukerji -at- synopsys -dot- com>
To: "Tech Writer" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:35:42 +0530

I've been watching this thread with great interest. Isn't it fascinating
how different communication styles bring out so many different reactions
in people?

I was amused at the original query - while I can see how being blonde
may cause differential treatment in India (simply because there it marks
you visually as non-Indian), I didn't see how being tall or cute really
makes a difference. I don't think potential assailants assess a woman's
height or looks before picking a victim - though I suppose age may play
a role depending on the crime (it's easier to mug a granny and I suppose
more fun to physically harass a younger woman - being neither male nor
criminal minded, I can't say for sure).

To address the question the OP had though, from the perspective of an
Indian woman working as in India (and one who is also tall, young and
cute if that helps!): I've worked in the north of India (my hometown of
Delhi) and am currently working in the south (Hyderabad). While I
wouldn't advise Amanda to relocate to Delhi (it isn't the safest place
for a single woman to live alone - either blonde and cute, or dark and
ugly!), the south of India is far better (and if you weren't aware that
Kerala is in the south of India, may I advise a bit more research into
the country?!). Also, Kerala is likely to have many more educated,
English speakers than many other places in India.

What many others on this list have said makes a lot of sense. Basic
awareness of cultural norms is important, and what is even more
important is to develop a sense of the pulse of each city. In Hyderabad
there are areas where women can dress in shorts and tank tops with no
problems, and there are others where it is essential to wear a burkha.
So what is really important in terms of ensuring your safety is to be
careful at least until you figure out what is appropriate where.

As far as safety is concerned India is no better or worse than anywhere
else. A blonde woman may attract attention but with more and more
foreigners settling in India thanks to the booming economy, slowly the
novelty value of pale-face is wearing off! ;) I agree with what others
have said about getting ripped off but I have had many international
students as friends, and most of them learnt to swear and haggle with
rickshaw drivers better than I do!

Depending on where in Kerala you are going, infrastructure and
facilities will vary. Most big cities are comparable with cities in the
US though traffic here is chaotic (and that's being polite!)

If you come with an open mind and a desire to understand the country and
it's culture, I am sure you will have a wonderful time. If you come
determined not to adjust your behavior and try to fit in, you will
probably face problems. Which goes for pretty much any place you choose
to go to.

Hope that helps.

Rupanjana