Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:36:14 -0500

Ned Bedinger wrote
"My state (Washington) has "employment at will" --it means that an
employer can drop me like a hot rock without giving any explanation,
without any advance notice. Do other states have at will employment?
Anybody know?"

Massachusetts also has "employment at will" I've copied an excerpt
from an article that was recently published in the Boston Globe in
their Job Doc column. This was a response to a reader who wrote in
with a question about being fired.

***
"Although it seems almost impossible to believe, employers in
Massachusetts, or in any other employee-at-will state, can fire any
employee at any time for any reason — or even for no reason at all. An
employer can terminate any employee, with or without notice."

''No one is helped when a person is fired without adequate warning,''
said Robert W. Murphy, the president of Human Resource Partners, ''but
it is legal to do it in Massachusetts and in many other states. There
is no requirement for progressive discipline either, unless a company
has bound itself to do so in its employee handbook or policies.''
***

Note the last sentence in the excerpt. I would investigate your
company's employee handbook and published HR policies and see what
procedures are in place that 1) protect or don't protect your job and
2) protect or don't protect your boss. Because from what you've
written, the resolution to this situation may end up involving someone
leaving the company.

Julie Stickler