Print settings for readable faxes

Subject: Print settings for readable faxes
From: "H. Christopher Christner" <cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:33:28 -0500

Hi all,

Long ago, (15 years or more) there was a Macintosh print utility that would
format any document so that when printed it would fax well. I never used the
program, but the print samples in the ad looked a lot like comic book
printing (large dots, no solid blocks of color) and they probably did fax
well.

The company making the app went out of business long ago, so there must not
have been a big market for readable faxes or maybe it was so simple to set
up the print dialog box to get the same effect that nobody wanted a separate
utility.

Simple it may have been to other people, but I can't figure out how to do it
and I haven't had any luck Googleing the Web. Can somebody please recommend
print settings that'll produce readable faxes from all sources (word
processors, graphics, PDF, etc.)? Since I'm on a Mac, extra points will be
awarded for Macintosh OS9 or OS X specific instructions, but I think I can
puzzle out Windows procedures.

Thanks in advance,
Chris