RE: Critique of instructions for preparing Pop-tarts

Subject: RE: Critique of instructions for preparing Pop-tarts
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "'Emily Berk'" <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>, "'Edwin Skau'" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:23:09 -0000

As was pointed out in the silica gel comment, instructions for the bleeding
obvious are sometimes necessary for the days when we're not awake. For
example, when I was at university, a friend of mine put a Poptart through a
conveyor-belt toaster. It caught fire and also got caught up inside the
toaster, so it made quite a smoky mess. I do believe they put a sign up
telling people not to put Poptarts through the toaster. So I would add an
instruction to the details Kelloggs (sp?) already have: Do not toast your
Poptart in a converyor-belt oven.

It is interesting how much knowledge they seem to assume for the microwave
instructions. However, I suspect that's probably unintentional: I'm sure the
toaster instructions predate the microwave instructions, and they probably
put thought into the toaster instructions when the product was launched.
They probably just threw something on the box for the mircowave instructions
when someone realised you could put a Poptart in a microwave.

In these islands, we don't have exercises about PBJ sandwiches. Instead, we
make cups of tea. I still haven't seen sample instructions that begin with
'Buy a decent brand of teabag or tea leaf'. I've seen plenty that leave out
the warning about boiling water scalding you.

It's definitely Friday in GMT-land.

elizabeth
elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com