RE: Being Laid Off

Subject: RE: Being Laid Off
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:25:21 -0600

Welcome to the party. We recently lost two members of our TechPubs
group (25%) in a company-wide RIF. We couldn't afford to lose either of
them with the volume of work already on our task lists, but as usual in
these cases, everyone's expected to pick up the slack and do more a
little more with a little less.

Sigh...

You've already got lots of good advice on where to look, what to do,
etc. Here's my two cents: the day after you're done at work, go file
for unemployment--immediately. Many states have a waiting period (here
in IL it's 1 week) before they start your claim.

If you've never filed before, it can be a bit daunting. I had this
whole "pride" thing going the first time I had to file - it was
embarrassing, I felt like I was a failure, even though I was only one of
many laid off at that particular company... And then I quickly got over
it when I got that first check that helped pay my rent! Subsequent
filings were simply a matter of "get in ASAP so the checks start coming
while I'm looking for something better!" Now in IL it looks like you
don't even have to go into one of the offices at all to file the first
time -- you can do it all via the web.

Good luck!
Carla
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.