RE: Planning modular help for software packages

Subject: RE: Planning modular help for software packages
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:28:33 -0500

Paul Hanson [mailto:PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com]

> I don't even go that far. I have a "System Options" section
> at the top of
> the help topic. I use this section to state what is different
> if they have a
> specific option purchased. It is up to our clients to know
> what they have
> purchased or not. More often than not, our system options
> control access to
> areas within the user interface. For example, with a specific
> system option
> purchased, you may be able to enter info in 10 fields.
> Without the option
> purchased, those 10 fields are disabled (greyed out). The
> aforementioned
> "System Options" section explains how the option controls
> user interface
> elements like this.

Gosh! You've got a GUI! :-)

Ours is command-line.
If you don't have the option, then the related commands
don't appear in the shell - at least, that's how it's
supposed to work.

However, the ...showconfig or ...showpolicies command
will show the status of all configuration settings/policies,
whether you've got access or not.

I figure that that precedent is sufficient for me to
justify an equivalent in my Help. At least, that's one
of the arguments I use. I think I'm wearing 'em down.

Kevin (if ya can't outshout 'em, outlive 'em)