RE: an easy way to confuse Adobe bookmarks

Subject: RE: an easy way to confuse Adobe bookmarks
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:43:24 -0500

Richard Combs asked...

> Tom Johnson" wrote:
>
> > I've found an easy way to confuse Adobe's bookmarks when you
> > convert a Word
> > document to a PDF.
> >
> > If you set the paragraph spacing of your body text (or normal
> > text) to 0 pts
> > before and 12 pts after, and then convert it to PDF, the bookmarks
are
> > misaligned every time!
> >
> > (By bookmarks, I'm referring to the links in the Adobe Reader
> > bookmarks
> > panel, which jump to destinations on the page.)
>
> I don't see any response to this, so maybe I'm not the only one who
> doesn't understand. :-)
>
> What do you mean by "bookmarks are misaligned"? Clicking the bookmarks
> doesn't take you to the correct destinations?
>
> But your bookmark destinations are headings, not body/normal text,
> right? So why do you think body/normal text has something to do with
> whatever the problem is?

Tom is talking about the fact that in the case he mentions, the "target"
zone linked to an automatic bookmark in the PDF output will be off. I've
seen this happen in Word --> PDF conversions myself, but since I don't
often use Word any more I can't recall the exact circumstances that
created the problem. In essence, what happens is that somehow the target
for the bookmark is probably linked to a paragraph element (e.g. the
baseline), and not to the actual text of the heading. Thus if you have a
large amount of leading or trailing space in a heading style, when you
jump to a bookmark in your PDF document, you may cut off the text of
your heading from the viewable area of the window, or your bookmarked
heading may not appear where you would expect within the visible window.