Somebody draw me a picture, please

Subject: Somebody draw me a picture, please
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:21:44 -0500

This shouldn't be hard.

I'm trying to install an open source feature on a Web site--specifically WebCalendar, so that my wife's medical practice can do their scheduling online instead of on paper. Trying to read through the admin manual, I see that I have to install an application that connects WebCalendar to the MySQL database provided by the hosting company. Comparing the two lists of possibilities (the list that WebCalendar is compatible with and the list that the hosting company can work with), it seems that phpMyAdmin is the correct choice.

So now I'm trying to work my way through the installation, configuration, and setup of phpMyAdmin before I can go back to the setup of WebCalendar.

But--I'm sorry to say this--the documentation for both of these applications is dense, technical, written for programmers who are already familiar with the products in question, .... In any case, it isn't written with me in mind, and I'm lost. The documentation is asking me to make choices without explaining the alternatives in comprehensible English.

If someone could throw me a rope, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dick