RE: Developing a troubleshooting guide

Subject: RE: Developing a troubleshooting guide
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Glen Blair" <glen -dot- blair -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:09:34 -0800

Ask your management if you can talk to the company's best field service
engineer. He or she probably has the best troubleshooting skills, and
you can then try to document the way he or she thinks.

I am a former software engineer, former ski patroller, and full time
do-it-yourselfer, so I can also observe that troubleshooting is a
mixture of observation, experience, knowledge, and exploration.

* observation is what you sense as you look at something. What messages?
What signs? What was the user doing?
* experience is empirical knowledge. What are the most common problems?
What most commonly happens at
* startup
* shutdown
* age of machine
and so forth
If you look at FAQs for software, you usually see entire sections
devoted to installation and upgrading,
because many problems occur at that time.
* knowledge is reading, training, and understanding of how the machine
works. If you know that your brain needs
oxygen to function properly, and you observe that a patient is not
responding intelligently to your questions,
then you might conclude that the patient isn't getting enough oxygen.
* exploration is testing of hypotheses you generate from observation,
experience, and knowledge. If you know that
your machine often fails to start up because a connection has come
loose, and you know the machine was moved
recently, then when it doesn't start you take off the cover to see if
the connection is loose.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.