RE: Document Repository Software

Subject: RE: Document Repository Software
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:40:41 -0500

Been there, bought that. Before we looked at any document control
systems, we wrote a detailed spec of our minimum requirements. Then, we
got Those-Who-Know, Those-Who-Care, and Those-Who-Sign-Checks to look
over the spec and give their comments.

Possible details for your spec's first draft include:
* Web access
* Collaborative revisions
* Author control of other users' access
* Version control tracking
* Hosted in-house or by vendor
* Document sorting and cataloging
* Document tagging with keywords
* User-posted comments/ideas about others' docs
* Part 11 and HIPAA compliance

Our spec was about three pages long, and it was pretty concise. The less
you need, the shorter the spec, and (if you're lucky) the lower the
cost. Some document repository systems are free; some cost many
thousands of dollars.

Once you have an agreed spec, it will be easier to review the candidate
applications -- we looked at MS SharePoint, Xerox DocuShare, IBM/Lotus
Domino.doc, Livelink, Documentum, etc.

When I met vendors during this process, I insisted that they compare
their out-of-the-box capabilities with our spec. Most of them
(surprise!) required vendor customization that dramatically skewed the
initial price comparison. The one major vendor whose product required no
customization was actually disappointed! -- but we weren't. In the best
of all possible worlds, the only cost is the initial purchase price.

Caveat emptor, and keep your eyes on the spec.

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.