Re: Clueless People in Positions of Responsibility

Subject: Re: Clueless People in Positions of Responsibility
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:13:51 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

I hope you immediately had a talk with your new manager about this.
You can be fired for such things. Home contact info and especially
salary info are sentitive, private bits of info. The home address
should be shared sparingly as needed, but the salary info should never
be shared with anyone outside your chain of command. And in the event
this person blows you off, well, many here would say "don't make
waves" but I, personally, would go straight to HR and explain what
happened AND the fact that this person doesn't really seem to care
that it DID happen.

On 3/9/06, Suzette Leeming [1]<suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

In sending out the email, instead of starting a new email, she had hit
Forward on an email from our previous email conversation and everyone ended
up getting the details of our salary/benefit negotiations along with my home
email address instead of my "new" company email address.

Bill is right. It's not only unprofessional, but it's also illegal in many
states because of the potential harm it can do to the employee and because
of identity theft issues. While people do make mistakes, a mistake like
this can cause problems both in the workplace (when fellow employees find
out you are making more/less than they are for the same work) or outside the
workplace (when "George" from shipping shows up at your front door at 3 a.m
and wants to "talk"). WIth your personal information, where you work and
knowledge of your pay scale, it would be easy for someone with ulterior
motives to use that information in such a manner that ultimately destroys
your credit rating. In short, what the email author did was serious and
should not be swept under the carpet.

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang