ADMIN List Conduct

Subject: ADMIN List Conduct
From: "Lisa M. Bronson" <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:59:36 -0600

Hello everyone,

For the past two months, I have been driving 400 miles each way every
week helping take care of a medical situation with my dad. Between
doctor appointments and only having dial-up (if any) Internet access,
my attention to the list has suffered. As much as I'd like to think
otherwise, I have to admit I'm not Super Woman. (Sure wish I could fly
like she can!)

Things are settling down, now, and I will again be monitoring the list
each day. Judging by some of the messages I've seen, it's time for a
reminder of the rules for posting to TECHWR-L. If you have any
questions, please write to me off-list.

========================

Revised 20 October 2005

I strongly encourage everyone to read and understand these rules
before posting to TECHWR-L. Any list member may be removed from the
list, at the listowner's discretion, for flagrant or repeated
infractions. Additionally, if you are abusive to the listowner or
other list members, you may be removed from the list.

Check the archives before posting
Archives are available at http://lists.techwr-l.com/archives/techwr-l.html

What to post

* If it is about technical communication and of general interest, post it.
* If it is about technical communication and original and
humorous, post it.

What not to post

* If it doesn't clearly and directly relate to technical
communication, don't post it.
* If it relates to language use but not technical communication,
it probably isn't appropriate. Don't post it.
* If it relates to computer use but not technical communication,
it probably isn't appropriate. Don't post it.
* If it continues an irrelevant thread in any way (rebuttal,
rebuke, rerun, revision, remark), don't post it.
* If it is a personal message to a single subscriber, don't post
it. Even if mail to that person bounces.
* If you aren't sure, don't post it.
* If it is a test message, do not post it. Ever. Contact the listowner.
* If it's a job ad or other ad, don't post it--send it to
lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for inclusion in the daily ad posting.
* If it is something cute, interesting, or funny that you found on
the Internet (e.g. Dr. Seuss on Tech Writing, origin of spam), don't
post it. I assure you that most readers have seen it already.

Other

* Check your facts on anything you post. Do not under any
circumstances post virus warnings or anything else designed to be
"forwarded to everyone you know" to this list.
* Do not directly attack anyone for anything on the list. Take
issue with ideas, not personalities, and do NOT point out grammatical,
spelling, or usage errors. This forum is not the place to exercise
editorial frustration.
* Edit all unnecessary quoted messages and TECHWR-L footers out of
your postings, and make sure that you send only plain text messages
and no attachments to the list.
* Please do not post ads in any form. Send job ads and other ads
to announce to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for inclusion in the daily ad
posting.
* Please make sure your E-mail address is included in the body of
the message you post to the list.
* If responses are sent to you--not to the whole list--please
summarize and post the entire summary back to the list. A summary
should include attributions so others can pick up conversations
offline if necessary with original posters. When you send a summary
back to the list, use the word "SUMMARY" as the first word of the
"Subject" line."
* Direct all commentary about this message to my address, not the list.