Thank you everyone :-)

Subject: Thank you everyone :-)
From: julie -dot- harrison -at- holset -dot- com
To: HATT -at- yahoogroups -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:23:55 +0000

Many of you won't even know how much you have helped me over the past few
months.

Last June I got the unenviable job of Technical Documentation Coordinator
at my engineering company, I was previously an engineer.
I have no formal technical writing training and had never heard of a HATT.

I feel I must quickly point out how much I love my new job; it's been the
hardest job I've ever had, but the sense of achievement has been
incredible. I've learnt more in the last 9 months than in the previous nine
years !!

At times I've felt like chucking it all in, then I read the HATT list or
the Tech Writing list and realise I'm not all alone.
I've followed so many threads, read so much good advice and been constantly
heart warmed at the friendship extended from these groups, the help and
advice is unending from a very busy bunch of people. WOW, you're all
wonderful.

I went live this afternoon with my first major Help project. I've just
completed a presentation to 15 draughters, I'll be doing the same for
around a dozen designers on Monday, later next week I'll be showing it to
our folks in China as well.
This position didn't exist before last June, 200 engineers and no technical
writer of any shape or form (I'm not claiming to be a technical writer, but
I'm the nearest this company has ever had). Previously, someone somewhere
would say, "Hey, we should write that down", so write it they did, and
place it on a server somewhere, never to be found or read by anyone ever
again.

Anyway, back to today. My presentation and demo went really well. Everyone
who has seen it likes it. It's nowhere near finished, this is only phase
one, but the improvements that have been made have been greeted much better
than I could have hoped.

I couldn't have done it without the help and advice I've read and received
on these forums, whether it be direct or indirect, THANK YOU one and all.

Although so many have made a difference, I want to say a very special thank
you to Peter Grainge and Rick Stone. The email help I've had has been
fantastic and I've hardly been away from their web sites. Thank You guys,
for so generously sharing the knowledge you have.

Yours in admiration,

Julie :-)

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.