Reading the manual as a last report

Subject: Reading the manual as a last report
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN - Contractor" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:58:24 -0600

Somebody recently made an interesting comment on how users who have a
problem with software typically ask the person next to them, or call
tech support, rather than look in the manual or the online help. I've
been searching and I can't seem to track down that post -- if someone
has it handy and could forward me a copy or repost it, I would be
grateful.

Does anyone have links to published studies or articles on this topic?

It would also be interesting to know whether users tend to prefer online
help over printed manuals. Maybe it's all spinach to them.

Thanks and happy Friday, everybody.
Christine