Re: [WAS] Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise? [IS NOW] Save as vs. Print to PDF

Subject: Re: [WAS] Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise? [IS NOW] Save as vs. Print to PDF
From: "Yves Barbion" <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, frame2acrobat -at- yahoogroups -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:11:24 +0200

Hello Schlomo,

yes, I am aware of the issues with "Save as PDF" from FrameMaker, but I
haven't had any of them yet (and I even have to create Enfocus Certified
PDFs). Of course, two things are crucial in the Frame-to-PDF process:

- Correct settings of the Adobe PDF printer driver instance
- Correct Adobe PDF Settings (formerly known as Job Options) in
Acrobat Distiller

I'm following Dov's recommendations here, which may be the reason why I
didn't have any problems. ;-)

One thing which still puzzles me about the Frame-to-PDF process: the
difference in speed. I did the test with a 100-page FrameMaker book:

- Print to PDF took 5 minutes (especially the Distiller part, PS to
PDF, was "slow").
- Save as PDF took 1 minute.

Can you explain what's happening "behind the scenes"? Indeed, like you said,
FrameMaker does not produce native PDF.

---------------
Yves Barbion
Technical Writer