Re: Fwd: UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?

Subject: Re: Fwd: UK/US usage: V ac, VAC?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Paul Goble" <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:58:53 -0400

Paul Goble wrote on 04/10/2006 04:19:35 PM:
> The British Standards Institution web site uses "V AC" and "V a.c."
> The IEEE Computer Society Style Sheet suggests "Vac"
> ANSI/IEEE std 260.4-1996 doesn't say what to use, but says NOT to use
"Vac"
> On the other hand, some other ANSI publications use "Vac"

When the question was asked, I dug into ASME Y14.38-1999 "Abbreviations
and Acronyms", which is the replacement for ASME Y1.1 and MIL-STD-12, to
see if what we were using was correct. Only to find that I really need a
copy of ANSI Y10.19 "Letter Symbols for Units used in Science and
Technology". :p

According to ASME Y14.38-1999 AC is the abbreviation for alternating
current. But, does not refer to ANSI Y10.19 so it may not be in agreement
with that standard. VAC on drawings or vac in text is defined as either
vacant or vacuum.

A non-breaking space and "Vac" (or "Vdc" for direct current) has been our
standard for quite sometime. If only justified by the rules of
capitalisation Volt being derived from a proper name, and ac not. A space
between V and ac would lead to confusion even if the use of a non-breaking
space was ensured. But I can't honestly say we even considered that
permutation of the acronym.

Regardless of final choice, just choose one and use it consistently. I
doubt that within context anyone is likely to have any difficulty
understanding the meaning of Vac, VAC, V ac, V A.C., or V a.c.

To blow my own horn, I really like the contrast and consistency of the
mixed case acronym. It goes well with the "nocase" character format that
ensures mixed case is retained even in paragraphs that are formatted as
all upper case. Nothing worse than milliwatts (mW) becoming Megawatts
(MW). If only I could ensure without fail that the symbol font wouldn't be
overwritten for ohm. All too often, regardless of the care taken, a
carefully tagged and formatted omega ohm becomes an uppercase W Watt. :(

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message.
Merci.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(See attached file: C.htm)
&gt; &nbsp; The British Standards Institution web site uses &quot;V AC&quot;
and &quot;V a.c.&quot;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; The &nbsp;IEEE Computer Society Style Sheet suggests &quot;Vac&quot;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; ANSI/IEEE std 260.4-1996 doesn't say what to use, but says
NOT to use &quot;Vac&quot;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; On the other hand, some other ANSI publications use &quot;Vac&quot;<br>
</tt></font>
&quot;Abbreviations and Acronyms&quot;, which is the replacement for ASME
Y1.1 and MIL-STD-12, to see if what we were using was correct. Only to
find that I really need a copy of ANSI Y10.19 &quot;Letter Symbols for
Units used in Science and Technology&quot;. :p</tt></font>
for alternating current. But, does not refer to ANSI Y10.19 so it may not
be in agreement with that standard. VAC on drawings or vac in text is defined
as either vacant or vacuum.</tt></font>
for direct current) has been our standard for quite sometime. If only justified
by the rules of capitalisation Volt being derived from a proper name, and
ac not. A space between V and ac would lead to confusion even if the use
of a non-breaking space was ensured. But I can't honestly say we even considered
that permutation of the acronym.</tt></font>
it consistently. I doubt that within context anyone is likely to have any
difficulty understanding the meaning of Vac, VAC, V ac, V A.C., or V a.c.</tt></font>
consistency of the mixed case acronym. It goes well with the &quot;nocase&quot;
character format that ensures mixed case is retained even in paragraphs
that are formatted as all upper case. Nothing worse than milliwatts (mW)
becoming Megawatts (MW). If only I could ensure without fail that the symbol
font wouldn't be overwritten for ohm. All too often, regardless of the
care taken, a carefully tagged and formatted omega ohm becomes an uppercase
W Watt. :(<br>
Eric L. Dunn<br>
Senior Technical Writer<br>
This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized
to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. <br>
Thank you. <br>
Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut contenir
des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à l&#8217;usage
exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par les présentes
avisée qu&#8217;il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le distribuer ou
le reproduire. Si vous l&#8217;avez reçu par inadvertance, veuillez nous en
aviser et détruire ce message. <br>
Merci. <br>
</tt></font>