(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: "Stacia Marlett" <smarlett -at- digitalriver -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:52:55 -0500

<sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

>> We're going to revamp our feedback system for our online help.
Currently

>> we assign a URL to a button at the bottom of each help topic.
Clicking

>> the button opens a new window with a bunch of questions and a Submit

>> button. Then someone else in our group puts the feedback in a

>> spreadsheet. We've gotten very little feedback over the course of a
year

>> with our online help system.

> This pushes one of my buttons. I passionately hate those online forms,

> especially the ones you see under "Contact us" on various corporate

> web pages. Why can't you just provide an email address so I can send

> feedback using my own client and have normal records of it?

Avoiding the form is one of the goals. However, a simple email address
creates an organizational nightmare. First I want to know if it was
helpful, then I want to know why not. I don't want a bunch of emails
from users asking us to teach them HTML tags. Plus there wouldn't be any
way to track it back to a particular help topic if they use their email
client to send us feedback.

Perhaps a mail form is the way to go, making them select which help
topic was unhelpful. It'd be two or three fields max.

Thanks, this is really helping me think through it!

-Stacia