RE: Screen booklet thingies

Subject: RE: Screen booklet thingies
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:32:46 -0700

You might think about using an intranet solution where the 'booklet' is a
webpage. I did a help desk interface a while back for a client ... they did
remote support for software installs, troubleshooting, system problems, etc.
for a large number of remote sites. No bit of information no matter how
detailed or obscure was more than three clicks away and the most commonly
used ones were just one click. With more sophisticated programming, now I'd
make it so that individuals could make their own "sticky" lists right on the
desktop of the information they use most often.

Major advantage is that the information can be kept up-to-date from a single
location. They actually provided each member of the help desk team with an
additional 19" monitor just for the interface (which also had a 600px window
for the company's regular intranet (their standard), an in-out board for the
helpdesk team, etc). Something simplier might do for you.

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

I suggest that you make a couple of dummy books and go talk to your printer
in person. Show don't tell. Show your printer what they will look like and
how you intend to attach them (sticky tabs) and it will go a long way in
helping them understand your concept and coming up with an affordable
solution.

BTW...I personally hate sticky tabs, but that's me. My problem is what do
you do if the booklet is removed from the monitor, or if it needs to be
changed. There's always a glop of stuff left behind.

Al