RE: How to become an Instructional Designer?

Subject: RE: How to become an Instructional Designer?
From: "Wilson, Dennis" <Dennis -dot- Wilson -at- spirentcom -dot- com>
To: "Steven Baratz" <sbaratz -at- mindspring -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:30:03 -0700

I recommend you seek employment in a "training" environment, using your teaching credential to gain entry. Training activities often include curriculum development / instructional design components. Also, network with your nearest ASTD chapter.
My own path to technical writing was via teaching ESL, to training, to curriculum development (per ISD approach), to writing repair/retrofit instructions for limited-English technicians.

Dennis Wilson
Spirent Communications
Calabasas, CA