Re: Procedures - Must we use numbered steps?

Subject: Re: Procedures - Must we use numbered steps?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:37:01 -0700 (PDT)

To quote Ed Yourdon: "Procedure is like dance - it
defies written [numbered] description". He meant that
procedure often involves many things going on at the
same time and complex branching.

While procedure is often multidimensional - text is
one dimensional (i.e., linear). For complex systems,
using a single dimensional tool to describe
multidimensional procedure is going to cause big
problems.

AJ Markos

"It is only by dying (i.e., following the flow of
data) that we are born again (i.e., come to understand
the underlying logic of a system). - AJ Markos

--- Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net> wrote:

It is certainly worth noting how well cookbooks deal
with multitasking, which is actually difficult to
describe in numbered steps and is better handled
by making use of the cook's judgment. "May be
prepared a day in advance," or (for a souffle),
"Serve immediately."

http://mail.yahoo.com