RE: lifecycle or life-cycle or life cycle

Subject: RE: lifecycle or life-cycle or life cycle
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "T K" <tvk_tw -at- yahoo -dot- ie>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <techcomm -at- user -dot- itconsult -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:23:13 -0400

T K asked...

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what is the correct way of writing the term lifecycle
(or
> is it life-cycle or life cycle) in the context of the systems
> development lifecycle or a software lifecycle etc.
>
> I have seen the three options lifecycle, life-cycle and life cycle
> used, although it seems that if popularity is an indicator then life
> cycle is the correct term.

My money would be on "life cycle."

I looked at an online dictionary (Merriam-Webster Online) and they use
the term "life cycle." A search of "life cycle" and "lifecycle" both
point to "life cycle," while a search of "life-cycle" returns "word not
found, try something from this list..."

If I recall correctly, "Lifecycle" is a brand name for a stationary
exercise bike that was marketed here in the U.S. 12-15 years ago when I
had a gym membership. I can't recall seeing it as one word anywhere
else.

Just my $.02...