How far do you go?

Subject: How far do you go?
From: "Joanne Grey" <jgrey -at- Brocade -dot- COM>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:56:54 -0700

I am wrestling with an interesting problem and would love some thoughts
or advice on it.

I'm documenting a complex product that requires several--perhaps as many
as half--of the preconfiguration steps to be performed using one of
several supported third-party products. Normally, I'd skip documenting
anything that's outside the actual product and cross-reference the
third-party docs, but in this case a great deal of information needs to
be given to the users in order for them to determine the correct
configuration to define.

To make it more interesting, there could be as many as ten different
ways to determine the same needed info, depending on what
hardware/software vendor combination and OS the users have. It's not a
situation where I can just tell the users to figure it out on their own
or look at outside documentation.

Has anyone has something similar, and how did you handle it?

Thanks.
-j

joanne grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com

Some folk are wise, and some are otherwise.
- Tobias Smollett