Re: Subject: Friday Fun: What Pet Peeve makes you puke?

Subject: Re: Subject: Friday Fun: What Pet Peeve makes you puke?
From: wanda <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: andrea frazier <alf_hatt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:24:24 -0700

ah bated breath... breath withheld in anticipation (as in abate), one of my favourites (no sarcasm).
I have some pet peeves, but over the years I've had to admit that I'm a fuddy if not a duddy, and language is like a virus, it spreads and mutates as it is used.
irregardless still baffles me (the negation of the negative) but it works because we take double negatives to mean the negative in colloquial English (ain't nobody gonna tell me different).
I wish I had a recording of Kate Burridge's key note from the recent conference.
Actually, all this comes at a time when I was faced with how *out of date* I have become. I recently needed to replace my old bucket and could not find one in the cleaning section of several stores. I did finally find one at a hardware store. Buckets are no longer a common tool for housecleaning.
Wanda

--
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent.
Pierre Trudeau