Re: The Problem With Keeping It Plain And Simple? (take II)

Subject: Re: The Problem With Keeping It Plain And Simple? (take II)
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:45:19 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> If, OTOH, you are fielding comments that the documents are
> ponderous tomes with large amounts of content that are of
> questionable value, it's the last method you want to try to use.

Exactly. I edit constantly, and editing means cutting: syllables,
words, sentences, paragraphs, and ultimately pages. All things
equal, good editing will reduce page count. Superior editing can
reduce page count substantially.

Subjecting me to a page-count performance metric is like telling me
not to perform one of the major functions I've been hired to do.

'Course, it's an old story. If the client wants poundage, you have
to deliver it. But I do often wish that, having delivered, they'll
next let me edit for length. "Nah, thanks, we like it this way."

LQ