RE: UI navigation info for customizable UI

Subject: RE: UI navigation info for customizable UI
From: Gordon Mclean <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- mclarensoftware -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:35:46 +0100

Why are there so many views available? Does each view offer a focussed way
for the user to interact with the software? If so then you might need to
double (triple) up the information, and provide information for each type of
view.

How is the product supplied? One thing I've done in the past is provide the
documentation based on the default view. Introduce each task by describing
what needs done "you need to turn on X in the control centre, before you can
do Y." before breaking out into the procedure.

Alternatively you are looking at providing multiple versions of similar
information and I'd suggest single source is the way to go. You can then
provide a "Using Product ABC in XYZ mode" type docs.

Be interesting to hear what you decide on. Good luck.

Gordon