Re: Web page (Intranet) dev tools

Subject: Re: Web page (Intranet) dev tools
From: Frank <frank -at- research -dot- canon -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "[TECHWR-L]" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:10:37 +1000

Hi Clare,

From your list of choices, I'd rate them as follows:

1. Dreamweaver
2. Just use HTML
9. AuthorIT
10. FrontPage

I don't know Nvu, so I can't comment on it. Definitely do not use FrontPage: it stinks on ice. My experience with AuthorIT is not much better; the product does not do what it claims and their support, though friendly, is not great.

You may want to consider another software title: Adobe (Macromedia) Homesite 5.5 <http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/>. I've used it for several simple Web sites and have found it helpful. The full price is only $99, plus you can evaluate it for 30 days before you buy.

Good luck,
Frank.

BTW - I have no interest in any of these companies. I'm a lowly Technical Writer working for a large multi-national corporation.

Clare Turner wrote:

I've been charged with developing an intranet for my company. We
currently have nothing in place. I'd prefer not to do this in 'pure'
html.

To that end, I'm looking into various web dev tools and would appreciate
some quick (!) opinions on the various tools.

I'm familiar with Frontpage (tho' our network folks have already
bascially nixed that), Dreamweaver (not sure I could get the $ right
now, but some possible good prices on eBay). I've looked at AuthorIt
(waaaay more than we need at this point and again, I doubt I could get
the $), and Nvu (free).
SO, whirlers - pls give me a quick 'vote' or ranking on the
following...if you had limited funds to develop an intranet (say less
than $200), which of the following would you select (oh, we're a Win XP
setup):

1. Frontpage
2. Dreamweaver
3. AuthorIt
4. Nvu (price is right, but is it robust?)
5. Just use html
6. Anything else?

Clare L. Turner
Technical Writer
Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc.
15020 N. 74th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480.607.3583

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as frank -at- research -dot- canon -dot- com -dot- au -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/frank%40research.canon.com.au