Re: TOP THAT: Antique Email (WAS RE: Dating the Internet (was Re: Funny Tech Writing))

Subject: Re: TOP THAT: Antique Email (WAS RE: Dating the Internet (was Re: Funny Tech Writing))
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:05:27 -0600

Listening to all this, I realize my infancy.

I have an e-mail account that I started in 2000 (so 6 years) that I
still use periodically, but I'll also admit that the first time I ever
graced the internet was probably that same day. Before then, it was
just a mythical object that floated around somewhere out there.

I've been playing catch-up ever since. Fortunately, the internet, and
computers in general, seem to become easier to learn the more I know.

Dave

On 4/28/06, Evans, Diane L (Rosetta) <diane_evans -at- merck -dot- com> wrote:

>But can anyone else on this list beat a 15 year old e-mail address that's
been in continuous and regular use since it was created?

Well, not quite...but my kids introduced me to free e-mail in 1995, when
Hotmail became available. I signed up for an account, and still use that
account frequently. It's been about 11 years now, and I still check the
account in the morning and evening every day.

When I attended the University of Washington in 1985 - 1987, I had an email
account that I could potentially still be using (but I don't). I was able
to access my email from work because it was a government agency with a 300
baud modem! I could watch each word as it appeared on the screen.

My first real home computer was a 386. We didn't have Windows installed on
it, because Windows needed 4 megs of RAM, and at $100/meg, we could only
afford one.

Diane Evans
Requirements Analyst
ASQ CSQE
Rosetta Inpharmatics
206-802-6560

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/daveloveless%40gmail.com